Christine Storey, Author of Local History Books

Christine Storey, Author of Local History Books

This fascinating book from retired teacher and local historian Christine Storey is brand new to the shelves in October 2012 and takes us from past to present through photos.

Poulton-le-Fylde through Time gives you 96 pages of contrasts, with views from as early as the early 1800’s, replicated in modern colour photos taken from the same spot today. It’s only just out with a publication date of October 2012 and a great addition to your own local history bookshelf.

Many of us have our own collection of these type of books – the fascination with the past gets us all at some time, and it’s clearly an interest that many people share when you see the number of titles which are in print.

Christine has been interested in the past for many years, long before she started publishing local titles, saying “I’ve been researching my family tree for 35 years, and always had a fascination with the past. My interest in my own family quickly led me onto finding out about the local area and what the Poulton that they lived in two and three hundred years ago would have been like.”

David Wiseman, the Minister of Poulton United Reform Church, started Poulton Historical Society in 1981, which Christine joined as a founder member and later went on to Chair. That only served to fuel her passion for the past, and led to her being approached by Amberley.

Many of us enjoy these kind of pastimes and writing, but how to take it from a passive hobby into something more substantial and actually get a book out on the shelves? “In my case, because of my association with both Poulton Historical Society and also as a past Chair of Lancashire Local History Federation, I’ve been approached by a publisher each time I’ve written a book” Christine explained.

“Ten years ago I was approached by Tempest, which led to the publication of ‘Poulton-le-Fylde – a History and Guide’ which was my first book. Then about five years ago, local company Landy Publishing – run by Bob Dobson of Staining – asked me to write my second book ‘Portrait of Poulton’ and then last year Amberley approached me to produce this new one”.

Accuracy, of course, is very important when you’re committing information to print, and Christine goes through a rigorous process to check everything that she learns. “Talking to people, looking at old photos and finding clues from the past are all a great place to start with your research, but it’s surprising how local folklore and long-held assumptions, and often some very interesting things, can often be wrong. As any historian would do, I check and reference everything, and we’re lucky to have the Lancashire Archives Record Office at Preston, which is a great place to be able to do this”.

A frequent haunt of Christine’s, the Lancashire Archives holds all kinds of information, evidence and records, including old maps and tithe maps, parish registers, original documents and all kinds of fascinating windows into the past, going back as far as the 1200’s. “The local libraries also hold all kinds of material, some of which might be more current, including old OS maps, and the more modern local history books, so that’s also a good source of solid local information too” Christine added.

What’s on the pages of the Poulton through Time book was led by the images and views from the past. The best of the collection were put together and then the new photos were taken to match. It doesn’t always follow though, that the matching modern shot can either be taken, or is worth looking at! In some cases there’s just nothing there any longer, or it’s not a good view at all, or it might be too dangerous to take the matching shot, and often tree growth and mature specimens just block the view. In total, it took eight or nine months to complete this new publication.

So what’s next for Christine? “I’m going back to my ongoing project and picking up my family history research again, although it’s not really something that I ever stop looking at. If anyone has got any ideas for things which they’d like me to look at and research, then I’m open to suggestions!”

The full series of Through Time books including Christine’s latest release Poulton-le-Fylde Through Time are available to buy in our online gift shop.

Poulton-le-Fylde Through Time, Christine Storey

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *