On 24 October 2017, Highways England published notification that the preferred route for the £100m A585 Windy Harbour to Skippool Road Bypass Improvement Scheme
The Southern Route is the one which has been chosen, to create a new bypass to the south of the current route.
– upgrading a section of road from Windy Harbour junction to a dual-carriageway,
– then moving on to a new stretch of road with a junction at Garstang New Road,
– bypassing Little Singleton and creating a new junction with the A586 Garstang Road East,
– before tying back into the existing road at a new junction east of Skippool.
The Better Option
While it is the most expensive option, the southern bypass does more to reduce congestion, reduce journey time and improve safety overall.
It will better support the proposed developments further north on the Fylde peninsula, by increasing the overall capacity of the road.
Option 1 also provides the most improvements to pedestrians and cyclists, as it will take trafﬁc away from the existing A585.
In taking the scheme through to the next stage of its development Highways England will look at whether a link to Shard Road is needed or is feasible, and wdecide whether or not to include a junction with Garstang New Road.
Need for A585 Windy Harbour to Skippool Road Improvement Scheme
It’s a heavily congested route between the Fylde Coast, Thornton, Poulton and the M55 motorway and drivers frequently experience signiﬁcant delays, particularly during morning and evening rush hours.
Aims of the scheme are to:
– Reduce congestion especially around Little Singleton, Shard Road and Skippool junctions
– Make journey times more reliable
– Support the economic growth potential in both Wyre and Fylde
– Support planned residential developments in the local area
– Improve the safety of non-motorised users around the existing A585
Two options were developed which were presented to the public. A period of consultation was held from 5 September to 17 October 2016 to gather opinions to help inform the option selection process.
They expect to begin construction by the end of March 2020.
How to Find out More about the A585 Windy Harbour to Skippool Road Improvement Scheme
Highways England will continue to engage with residents as the design for the scheme develops.
Information about the project is available online . You can receive updates about the scheme by signing up for the newsletter on the same page.
You can get in touch with them using any of the following methods:
Telephone: 0300 123 5000 (9.00am – 5.00pm Monday to Friday)
The full consultation report is available on our website (download it above) or alternatively call 0300 123 5000 to request a printed copy.
Find out More
Have a look at the Visit Poulton-le-Fylde website homepage for more of the latest updates.
If you love the Fylde Coast you ought to sign up for our weekly email newsletter. It’s packed full of interesting things and will arrive in your inbox all 52 weeks of the year.
Join us on Facebook at our Visit Fylde Coast Facebook Group
Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @visitFyldeCoast